Senior Bioinformatics Scientist
Reports to Director of Bioinformatics
The Senior Bioinformatics Scientist will contribute to efforts in developing novel computational tools for classification of tumors. This position conducts research using bioinformatics theory and methods in areas such as pharmaceuticals, medical technology, biotechnology, computational biology, genomics, computer information science, biology and medical informatics and may design databases and develop algorithms for processing and analyzing genomic information, or other biological information. He/She will support research activities and collaborative studies involving the use of complex algorithms for analysis of RNA and DNA sequence data and modeling to identify new associations.
Duties and responsibilities
- Compile data for use in activities such as gene expression profiling, genome annotation, and structural bioinformatics to research genetic characteristics or expression.
- Analyze large molecular datasets such as raw microarray data, genomic sequence data, and proteomics data for clinical or basic research purposes.
- Develop data models, technical or scientific databases, new software applications or customize existing applications to meet specific scientific project needs.
- Provide statistical and computational tools for biologically based activities such as genetic analysis, measurement of gene expression, and gene function determination.
- Create novel computational approaches and analytical tools as required by research goals.
- Consult with researchers to analyze problems, recommend technology-based solutions, or determine computational strategies.
- Manipulate publicly accessible, commercial, or proprietary genomic, or post-genomic databases.
- Create or modify web-based bioinformatics tools and collaborate with software developers in the development and modification of commercial bioinformatics software.
- Actively manages and tracks several collaborative projects, ensure progress in terms of deliverables and timelines.
- Prepare scientific or technical reports or presentations and communicate research results through conference presentations, scientific publications, or project reports.
- Additional clinical development/scientific duties as deemed necessary.
The Senior Bioinformatics Scientist candidate should have the following qualifications:
- M PhD degree in Bioinformatics, Genomics, Statistics, Biostatistics, Computational Biology, or equivalent, with a minimum of 3 years of relevant experience.
- Masters level candidates with at least 5 years of relevant experience may be
- Proficiency in the use of bioinformatics tools (e.g. GATK, BLAST, SAMtools, Freebayes, etc.), file formats (e.g. FASTQ, BED, BAM, VCR), and publicly available databases (e.g. GEO, ClinVar, GenBank, Ensembl, COSMIC, OMIM, Annovar, dbSNP, etc.).
- Proficiency in transcriptome profiling, differential expression, and functional profiling (e.g. STAR, BWA, Bowtie, DEseq2, EdgeR, Kallisto, Salmon, GSEA, GSVA, etc.)
- Strong Unix skills and programming ability in at least one of the following: R, Python, Java, or Perl.
- Experience using commercial cloud computing platforms (e.g. AWS, Azure, Google)
- Experience applying statistical models, Bayesian Networks, and performing hypothesis testing.
- Ability to process raw sequencing data for variant identification and gene expression analysis, as well as skills for integrating diverse-omics data are required.
- Strong oral and written communication skills for presenting analysis results internally and externally required.
How to apply:
Please use the following link. Apply